Translate

The Secret Revolutionary (Part I) -Short Story

 Author's note:- I watched the Revolutionaries on Amazon Prime and got inspired. I haven't watched the series in full. Any incidents similar to the series is a pure coincidence. 



Image credit: Himanshu Singh


12th October 1932                                                                                        Rajputana, British India

After suffering a devastating loss in the battlefield between East India Company and the kingdom of Jaslok Rana Singh, the king of this small state agreed to sign a peace treaty with the British and the Crown. Under the agreement, his youngest daughter Gauri was offered alongside the submission as a peace offering and due to be married to 40 year Harriet Parker.



On the day of the wedding.....

Lady's maid: She's gotten a bit fatter. The dress isn't fitting. (lacing up the last hole and pulling the slim band)

Gauri (groaning): This sorta hurts. Do we have to make it this tight?

Higher-ranking Lady's maid: Any amount of skin would not be proper. Cover her with the veil.

(A white meshy veil is draped over Gauri's head and over her face.)

Higher ranking-Lady's maid: There! You look ready.


🌸🌸🌸


At the altar...

Priest: Do you take Gauri, formal princess of Udaipur to be your lawfully wedded wife and promise to protect her and take her in all, including sickness and health?

Husband (smiling): I do.

Priest: And do you Gauri agree to take Harriet Smith Parker to be your lawfully wedded husband and promise to take care of him and his children till the end?

Gauri: (with a shy lowered head): I do.

Priest: You may now kiss the bride.

(Loud applause. Everyone claps. Flowers are thrown. Husband lifts veil and kisses his 16-year old bride.)

🌸🌸🌸

Married life didn't serve Gauri very well. She found her husband dull, unromantic and boring. She suffered multiple miscarriages. Sensing her pain, her husband finally took her to a psychiatrist who diagnosed her with hysteria.

On one fine day during the family doctor's. visit......

Family Doctor: I think all the miscarriages she has suffered from has really gotten to her psyche. Perhaps going back to India would improve it. Take her back to India as soon as you can. Native air might do her some good.

Husband: I was dismissed from the role 10 years ago. If this is as serious as it seems and we'll have to move, I'll have to pay it out of my pension for this one.

Family Doctor: She didn't come with a dowry?

Husband: Did. I used it to build our current residence.

(An awkward pause later)

Husband: Ok. I'll use my pension money.

Family Doctor: Alright. Fine then. I'll take my leave. I'll visit later.

🌸🌸🌸

Gauri: Hey darling! I am just off to meet my friend Mariam. Is it okay if I leave for the day? I have got everything you need covered for the day. The luxurious roast you want is going to be prepared and Mary-Beth is making that special dessert you love....

Husband: No. Not today.

Gauri: Why? What is wrong with you? Why am I never allowed to be with who I want to be with?

Husband: Darling...you are too young. You don't know anything about the real world. Your father handed you to me, to put you under my protection. You'll have to listen to me.

(Gauri groans and leaves the room.)

🌸🌸🌸

Taking her frustration and doctor's advice into account, Gauri and husband move to India after treacherously long month on the sea. Seasick, Gauri falls severally ill, retching many times on the ship. Unhygienic conditions trouble her more and makes her paler and more white in the face. 

Ship finally anchors at Porbandar, Bombay Presidency and Gauri finds some solace in a familiar real estate and farm which was designed for her convenience.



🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 


Part 2>>>

Comments

Popular Posts